Hunters Moon Hotel was originally called Salcombe House and was built approximately 1791 by a Mrs Brutton.
In 1810 Reverend William Jenkins (who was Lord of the Manor) lived here whilst his house in Vicarage road was used as a lodging house. Later the lease was passed to Sir William Cockburn and then in 1841 to Sir Charles John Cornish.
Sir William Cockburn (whose first wife was the sister of Sir Robert Peel) became the Dean of York. It has been said that the Dean was the first person in the valley to be seen carrying and umbrella!
The houses history then seems to disappear with hardly any mention. We do know that it was used in the war for recuperating soldiers. By the 1940s its name had changed to Bishops Court and was run as an Hotel.
Mr and Mrs AEK Fisher bought it in 1958 when it was in a near derelict state. They set about breathing life into the building and grounds helped by their two daughters and son with their spouses. During the next few years they all worked hard and when the now *Hunters Moon was running well the two daughters left with their husbands to start their own business. That only left Mr RMD Fisher and an ageing Mr AEK Fisher to proceed.
Mr M Fisher and Ms J Fisher joined their father to help in the running of Hunters Moon but after the sudden death of their father in 1991 found they were thrust in to ownership and took on the role with some trepidation. Since then there has been extensive modernisation to meet the needs of the 21st century and the expectations of today`s discerning customer.
* Hunters Moon was named after a Georgian House in an Ivor Novello play called “Perchance to Dream”. Mr and Mrs AEK Fisher loved the theatre and amateur dramatics and decided, if they were ever lucky enough to own a Georgian House they would use the name.